Thursday, March 14, 2013

Birthday at Booroomba Rocks

I took my annual day off work for my birthday and while Amy headed for work and the kids to school visited Booroomba Rocks with our neighbour Phil.

(move the picture around and see if you can spot Phil!)

The rocks are part of the Namadgi National Park and are a climber's paradise. We didn't do any rock climbing but I really loved the walk to the summit - through dense forest with loads of beautiful native fauna.

On the drive there I spotted Gang Gang Cockatoos. We had a birthday lunch at the top of the rocks - cheese roll and blue cheese and hummus washed down with French wine. It beat working.

The view from the top was spectacular. A pair of wedge tail eagles soared above us as we looked down on the dense forest below. You can see the southern most edge of Canberra from the top of the rocks.

I had planned to do the walk as a bit of a trial to see if the kids could make it. In all truth the precipitous drop off the edge of the cliff means that I probably won't take them until their a bit older - a slip would mean a long fall!

We drove back along the rough road and then joined Tharwa Drive and headed back to Canberra in time for me to drop Phil then meet Amy and collect the kids from school. We enjoyed milkshake at the local milk bar and Amy made me a lovely birthday cake (which the kids had helped ice).


Eli with my lovely cake

Me (making sure I didn't go too close to the edge!)


Birthday lunch

Phil drinking red wine out of a tin cup


a lizard (skink?) who joined us for our lunch

No comments: