Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Sweetcorn

Shop assistants at our local supermarket, 'Top Market', used to be about as welcoming towards us as group of Tibetans greeting an Olympic torch relay.

Fortunately a new supermarket, 'Super Sam' has opened right on our doorstep and the folks who work there are much more gracious towards us. As a result, we've switched our allegiance and custom to their store.

I also take the odd trip to Tesco (to remind me of home!) which is at one end of the metro line.

Whichever supermarket we choose though, one thing that always amazes me is the abundance of sweetcorn on the shelves! Every store seems to have mountains of the stuff. On a visit to Tesco yesterday I counted 14 different brands. That's brands - not tin sizes- if you include tin/jar variances you ended up with over 20 different options when choosing your corn!

It's not really a foodstuff that I've particularly searched out, nor come to think of it one that I can devise a wide range of uses for. If anyone does have a list of sweetcorn recipes then please send it to us as we'll have no problem getting hold of the ingredients!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think it is a clever Polish scheme to stop the Americans using maise for Bio -fuel.
It's Poli-fuel instead. You eat it raw.