Tuesday, January 4, 2005

On my way to Anakeo

Again a battle with the Malagasy way of things!

I went to the bank early on (it opened at 7.30) and wasted nearly an hour amongst a throng of people. Even after I left I couldn't claim to understand how it all worked. You basically grabbed a piece of paper about the size of a postage stamp wrote on it what you wanted and tried to force it into a clerks hand. After that you went to three separate queues none of which were really queues, the objective being to push to the front as auickly as possible.

Anyway after that I went to catch my boat, and after a zebu ride out to the boat (I kid you not) we set off on the hour long trip across the coast.

Anakeo can only be reached by sea and is the most amazing location. There's a little villiage, where the kids spend all day playing in the surf (while their dads fish) and blue sea and white sand that stretches for miles in both directions.

I walked for a couple of hours along the beach and found some huge shells. It's really pretty idelic.

I'm here with a group of Italians (who seem to hate the French). A couple of them can speak English so my conversation has become an eclectic mix of Spanish, French, English and Italian(just the stuff I learnt off the Godfather). A gorgeous sunset over the sea to end the day.

No comments: