Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Apple picking in Piallago

I'd never been apple picking before, but as Sunday was lovely and warm the three of us headed out to Tanbella Orchard to PYO.

It was a great afternoon - you got to eat as much as you wanted (I guess unlike strawberries you can only eat so many apples!) and the large orchard had three or four different apple trees as well as pears and plums. I had worried about the kids reaching the fruit, but actually many of the branches were weighed down with fruit and picking fruit was easy and fun.

We filled a bucket full and then paid. A couple of friendly dogs came to say hello to us as we left. I always find it amazing that Piallago is next to Canberra airport and yet has the feeling of being in the middle of the country. One of the advantages of the bush-capital I guess.

I read the kids John Keat's Ode to Autumn when I got home. Just because I could(!) and just because I know the first verse off by heart!




No comments: