Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Fairies come to town....or do they?

On Saturday afternoon I (Amy) took a very excited Audrey and a not-so-excited Eli to the grand opening of 'The Fairies' shop in Mitchell. The ad had promised that Harmony and Rhapsody (from The Fairies TV show) would be there to meet and greet children from 1-3.30 pm.

We got to the store around 2pm and I could not believe the number of people at the store...the crowd was spilling out in to the carpark. Never before have I seen so much pink, fairy wings, wands etc. Little did I know that so many young girls lived in Canberra!! We duly took our number from the somewhat harassed Fairy Assistant at the door. Number 10.

"What number are they currently up to?" I asked. "Number 3" the Fairy Assistant muttered, not wanting to make eye contact. Oh dear....we were in for the long haul. I was tempted to leave then but Audrey was sooo excited I couldn't let her down. So we looked at the merchandise (of which there was plenty) and I managed to get away lightly by only buying 2 books (1 each - it seems Eli was now excited to be at The Fairies shop). We joined the long queue to pay for our goods and then set about waiting...and waiting....and waiting.

There was fairy dancing and colouring to keep the children occupied but it all still worked on the number system and they were only up to number 5! Aaarrrghhhh.... The children were very good although Audrey did say a few times, "Waiting is boring". Finally, the dancing was up to Number 8 - I didn't care any more and shoved Eli and Audrey into the space to dance. They did 2 rounds of dancing - for Number 8 and Number 9 and then yes! our number was called for the craft room. Hurrah! We were getting closer to getting into the room to meet Harmony and Rhapsody. I pushed the children into the room to do colouring. It turned out the (other) harassed Fairy Assistant had called Number 10 by mistake and it should have been Number 9. Too bad! My kids were at the table now and we weren't moving. All the other parents thought the same. It was now almost 3:30pm.

Finally, after about 15 minutes in the colouring room we made it into the room to meet Harmony and Rhapsody. I did a double take at the two fairies sitting greeting the children. Something wasn't right. These clearly weren't the fairies from the TV show. They were dressed the same, had the right colour hair, but were NOT the fairies!! I said in disbelief, "It's not even them!". A dad next to me laughed (almost hysterically) saying, "No wonder they hid them away in a separate room!". We muttered about false advertising etc and having to wait for so long but our children didn't seem to be too bothered by it and gladly posed with the fake fairies.

I thought Audrey must have been fooled but on the way home she said to me, "They didn't do fairy kisses goodbye like the TV ones". Did she know they were different or not? I wasn't silly enough to ask, only silly enough to have waited almost 2 hours to have the pleasure of being duped.

Here's the pic of Audrey and Eli with not-Harmony and not-Rhapsody and a picture of the real deal so you can tell the difference!


Audrey and Eli with not-Harmony and not-Rhapsody

Harmony and Rhapsody - the real ones

Audrey and Eli while away the hours doing some art work


1 comment:

Ambasada said...

fell of the chair:)))))
love
marysia