Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Update on Amy

Well, it's been a while since an update so Trevor said I should write something. I'm always a little reluctant, not because I don't want to share my news, but because the blog is usually filled with stories of our happy outings, the things Audrey and Eli are up to etc and my news is not really uplifting (yet!)

At my last appointment with my medical oncologist (about 6 weeks or so ago) I was told that the hormone treatment I am currently on doesn't seem to be doing the job we hoped it would. The cancer in my bones has spread a little and my tumour markers are still very high. So, the plan - to have more radiation treatment to my left pelvis and to my cervical spine. Then, we check the tumour markers again and if they are still high I go on to a different hormone treatment. I'll have more news on this after my next appointment on 2 August.

I am currently almost halfway through the radiation (10 sessions this time). I have been nauseous again and my saliva glands have been affected so my mouth is a tad dry. Not a good idea to eat dry crackers at the moment as I discovered last night when it took me almost 10 minutes to eat one!

The radiation has also made me really tired this time - twice this week I have been in bed before the children which they find very amusing! The first time, they came into my bed to read me a story but last night I was passed out so no stories for me!

1 comment:

leedsboy said...

thank you for the update Amy. we think of you guys often. all our love, hugs and kisses to the four of you. xox