Sunday, July 10, 2011

Audrey's first tennis lesson

During school holidays there's a pretty extensive programme of activities for children in Canberra. A couple of weeks ago I noticed that they ran tennis lessons at the (very nice) tennis courts next to Old Parliament House.

Audrey wasn't terribly keen until Amy and I re-badged it 'fairy tennis' and then she was sold - and super excited to go along.

I only signed Audrey up for a short session (2½ hours) as some of the older/bigger kids do full days from 8.30-4pm for the whole week, but I figured it was better to start small.

She really enjoyed herself. Despite being dwarfed by a lot of the kids there (I think the only child younger was the coaches son) she ran and hit pretty well. Fortunately she never questioned the absence of fairies or the lack of wings, wands and fairy paraphernalia, but I expect she's still convinced the game is called 'fairy tennis'

I'm not sure it'll become a regular thing, nor if she'll ever make the top 10 in the World but it was a nice fun morning.

Audrey hitting the ball to the coach

As a footnote to this post Audrey went to sleep with her tennis racquet and ball. A future star in the making!

No comments: