Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Further update

I had appointments with the radiation oncologist and medical oncologist over the last couple of days. As suspected, I will have to have radiation treatment on my chest area to try to lower the chances of the cancer recurring in the same location. Unfortunately, there are also a list of side effects; some only have a 1% chance of happening, others are up around 30-40%. The most likely are bad burning of the area, fatigue and increasing my chances of getting lymphoedema. I figure though that I've got to throw everything I can at this thing.

At this stage, it's too early to tell if the hormone treatment is working (ie slowing the growth/spread of the cancer). The medical oncologist thinks that she will be able to assess this in a few more months. I go back to see her in late March.

In the meantime, I will undergo the radiation treatment and continue with the hormone treatment. I've also booked in to see a naturopath in March - she comes highly recommended and I'm certainly open to complementary therapies.

My spirits remain high and I'm thankful for all the support and good wishes I have been receiving.

No comments: