Monday, November 12, 2007

Snow!

I've been listening for a while to people telling me that we're in for a long cold winter. Apparently the beavers stored more logs than normal(!) and all the birds flew South a week or two earlier this year. It snowed today for the first time this winter, so perhaps the beavers were astute in their planning.

It wasn't a gentle Bing Crosby type of snow either, but a fine rain-like snow that came down with meaning. It was wet and cold. I'm not sure if like the Eskimos the Poles have 400 words for snow, but today's could certainly be described as okropne (horrible)

More importantly today was Amy's first day back at work and mine as 'real' stay-at-home dad. My first day has gone ok and (despite the weather) I nipped into town for lunch so Amy could see (and feed) Audrey. I hope Amy's day has gone ok, but we both know it'll be tough over the next few weeks/months. I'm afforded time to write this blog as Audrey dozed off on the way home and is still asleep in her pram. When she wakes up I'll sing to her about the wheels on the bus, which I suspect if it carries on snowing won't go round and round quite so easily tomorrow.

Footnote from Amy: Well, as Trev writes above, today was my first day back at work. There were tears this morning when I left (from me, not Audrey!) and again when I first arrived at work. The day did go quite quickly though and the visit from Audrey and Trevor at lunch time certainly made it more bearable. Audrey charmed the local staff with big smiles for everyone - she obviously puts on her best face for public appearances!! We're not sure how long Trev and Audrey will be able to keep up the lunch time visits - a lot will depend on the weather and considering it's already started to snow they may not continue for too much longer :(

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good luck with the new work arrangements! I can't believe it's already snowing in Warsaw. And thanks again for the raspberry leaf tea! I'm guzzling two cups a day, but all to no avail so far. Emma xx

Robin said...

Hope the first week goes well, I'm sure you'll be knackered at the end of it Amy. Dont listen to Trev try and tell you he had a busy and stressful time with Audrey, you should get your tea on the table and a back and head massage from him each evening now you are the full time bread winner. Well thats what I get from Sh....ah oh well maybe not. cheers Robin