Saturday, December 25, 2004

Arrive in Durban



I arrived in Durban at around 11am, after what was a pretty un-eventful flight. Watched the obligitory movies en route - Anchorman (poor but funny in places) and Shark Tale (ok). We were met in Durban by Kevin. Not exactly a "tour leader" more a taxi service to take us from a to b during our stay here.

We were dropped at the City Lodge. very close to the cricket ground and with all the normal amenities of a business style hotel.

I've made friends with 3 Scottish people. Andy (who actually lives in York) and Andy (another one) and Liz (who is the York Andy's sister). They're a friendly bunch.

Dropped bags and wandered down to the beach. It's a really nice stretch of very fine sand. Populated on Christmas day by a mass of locals. We had a bite to eat and then I wandered off and walked up the pier.

It was a strange (but I guess good) way to spend Christmas day. I went back to the hotel about 4.30ish and fell asleep.

We went out for a posh meal Christmas night (a seafood place) and then played my quiz. Rounded off the night with some drinks around the pool (it was about 10.30 but still v.v.hot outside)