Sunday, March 17, 2019

The third best letterbox in the street

When we moved here a little over 10 years ago, I must admit it took me a little bit of adjustment to find that your post was delivered to a letterbox in your lawn rather than landing with a satisfying thud through a letterbox in your front door.

Delivering post to a more remote letterbox allows the postie to zip between houses on a moped/scooter rather than having to trudge on foot between each individual household. Now snail-mail is all but redundant it hardly seems to matter.

Our letterbox has always shown its age. A combination of rot and ants had seen off its wooden post. 

One afternoon I found a new letterbox that someone had given away, which inspired me to set about the replacement and repair of our own. 

Fortunately a kind neighbour lent a hand and so we soon had the old one bashed out and the new one safely concreted in. It's plumbed in too, so it serves as a garden tap. I was so pleased with our handy-work that the kids and I walked up and down our road inspecting everyone's respective letterbox.

We (well actually 'I'...as they weren't really that bothered) came to the conclusion that our new letter box (especially with its chrome numbering) probably ranks as the third best letterbox in the street!



No comments: