Thursday, July 5, 2018

Roos on the cricket pitch

I stopped off to take this picture on my drive home. It's our local cricket pitch and a large mob of kangaroos were enjoying the grass there. Sometimes it's nice to be reminded that Canberra is Australia's 'bush capital'.

Sadly, there's an increasing trend for green spaces to be in-filled. Like many growing cities, new apartment blocks are springing up everywhere. Our local outdoor swimming pool is likely to become apartments in a couple of years and already the local pitch-and-put has given way to apartments. Of course the closer you get to the city the more in demand potential building spots become.

For now though at least kangaroos still hop in between many suburbs. The dry winter we've had has also had the effect of driving wildlife in from the bush and I think I've seen more rosellas this year than I ever have in ten years living in Canberra. Flocks of king parrots - a beautiful green and red bird find solace on our front lawn and I love nothing more than seeing yellow tailed black cockatoos on my drive to work.

No comments: