Thursday, February 9, 2017

Australian Open

I'd planned for a little while to take the kids to the Australian Open. I was never really sure what the 'right' age to take them was as I didn't want them to get bored or not be interested in what was going on around them.

Having seen them sit through two seasons of Canberra Raiders (and in doing so become ardent supporters) I thought I'd take the trip as there's a bucket flight operator (Tiger Air) recently started operating from Canberra so by booking early the flights and tickets weren't overly expensive.

We had great seats in Rod Laver Arena. We sweltered on the first day watching Andy Murray (the kids sat glued though a three hour match which was pretty impressive) and then had a night session watching Djokovic and Poland's Radwanska)

Audrey was amazed by how many courts there were (I think there's in excess of 25) and I couldn't help but compare it to Wimbledon which I've been to countless times. It held up well in comparison. I guess it lacked some of Wimbledon's 'tradition' by way of strawberries and cream, but made up for it with a surplus of fun things for everyone to see and do. When we got home the kids were already discussing our trip in 2018!

And Murray (who despite being world no.1 would do better if he adopted a more side on approach to his forehand)

Djokovic serves

Night session fun


Aga Radvanska (Audrey really supported her!)

No comments: