Saturday, October 3, 2009

Mind reading

I must own up that this isn't a completely original post (I must credit ABC 666 radio for a similar article) but I thought it was pretty amusing.

The article comments that despite scientists best efforts computers still can't read our minds.

When I'm sending a text my mobile phone tries to guess my next entry - this is particularly odd as I bought the phone in Poland and so it attempts to Polish-ify my English. Likewise when I'm writing something in Microsoft Word, the computer will often pick up my atrosious spelling, or sometimes (dependant upon the settings) try and American-ise my writing (in someways more insulting than my phone's efforts to convert it into Polish). Similarly Excel will try and do clever things to fill in cells where it thinks I should have values that I've typed in elsewhere.

The article on ABC highlighted how this has spread to search engines. Google comes up with some particularly amusing ones...(try them for yourself if you don't believe it)


How can there be in excess of 14,000 references to replicating a dinosaur lifestyle? and what is a mischievous badger anyway?
and entering just 'why' raises probably some of the great mysteries of the universe....

I must go and explore them - straight after I've got that tape off my thumbs...


No comments: