Sunday, October 26, 2008

Watching Grass Grow

In Australia mowing the lawn is undoubtedly a mans job. It become apparent the moment you try and buy a lawnmower. The huge array of big masculine mowers come complete with butch brand names such as 'Toro','Hustler','Victor'. It seems if you can't afford a Harley Davidson then a petrol mower is a good second place.

I went in search of a 'Flymo' but its name (and even the concept of an electric mower) was far too effeminate for Australia.

Instead I was advised to pick my mower based on engine capacity, gears, no. of spark plugs, turbo boost etc. Into the bargain I went for the chrome model and a 'Power Mulch'.

The salesman showed me how to tune, fuel and start/stop the mower and I was ready to go.

When you wake the machine up with the pull cord you're greeted with a powerful roar as it growls into life. Even though much of our lawn is steadily turning to dust as we approach summer, the mower eats what greenery it can find and spits it out (as mulch)

I may never get to ride bareback across route 66, but cutting the lawn in Canberra with my new chrome 4-stroke mower surely comes pretty close?

1 comment:

M and P said...

Hahahahahaa! Love it ! Yep, it comes pretty damn close :)

Seriously, I had a good laugh. You have a great turn of phrase.
Love to you all

P.