Thursday, January 3, 2008

Nappy New Year!

Because of our bugs, New Years Eve was a bit of damp squib from a party perspective - we were in bed by 9.30pm.

I guess it'll be the same for the forseeable future - probably until we end up having to serve as a taxi service running Audrey to and from her parties.

Still we were 'entertained' by the party going on two storeys above us which kept going until about 3.30am. Although it was really loud and was combined with the celebratory rage of fireworks outside, I never really got annoyed as the choice of music left such a lot to be desired.

Being woken up by the Macarana followed by La Bamba was somehow more amusing than having to listen to some drum and bass number. Fortunately Audrey stayed pretty much undisturbed regardless of the music on offer.

On the 1st January I went to get some things from Galleria Mokotow (our local shopping centre) and was totally amazed by the lack of New Year sales. In the UK and Australia people go crazy for sales - sleeping outside of department stores and then commando rolling under the security grilles when the shops open, in order to buy (or just fight over?) the bargains on offer.

Poland seems to have a whole different attitude to New Year sales - pretty much business as usual. I spotted wads of Christmas cards still being sold at full price and lines of chocolate moulded Santas being sold at 10% off - Guys, they're not exactly going to fly out the door in January are they? I'm sure if I'd looked hard enough I'd have still been able to still buy a fresh Christmas tree at full price - perhaps to replace ours which started to droop sometime around Boxing Day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, I'm not sure if this is going to work because this blog site is in Polish...anyhow, Happy New Year to your family! My husband and I have just arrived in Warsaw last night and we have enjoyed reading your blog. (We found it when searching for Mums & Tots.) We are from Texas and are here for my husband's job. We have a son who was actually born the day after your daughter!! We still do not have a phone number yet, and I don't even know our address, however, I know that we don't live too far away from the Akardia shopping mall. I would love to get in touch will you guys somehow before the next Mums & Tots activity. Our son needs his four month vaccinations as soon as possible and I would appreciate a reccomendation for a pediatrician. My email address is MrsLaurenHarrington@yahoo.com
Thank you! : ) We really look forward to meeting you all!

Anonymous said...

Gostei muito desse post e seu blog é muito interessante, vou passar por aqui sempre =) Depois dá uma passada lá no meu site, que é sobre o CresceNet, espero que goste. O endereço dele é http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . Um abraço.