Friday, October 26, 2007

Mums and Tots


Audrey went along to her first 'Mums and Tots' session this morning (although perhaps as I'm going to be going along with her, maybe I should lobby for it to be re-named 'caregivers' or something PC like that?) It was held at Penny's house who is one of the members - she has a 5 month old boy called Moritz. She laid on a huge spread of yummy food.

It was really well attended and there must have been around 10 other mums, as well as Amy, me and (of course) Audrey. At 9 weeks old she wasn't the youngest - there was a baby boy aged 3 weeks, but typically most of the other kids ranged from 6 months to 14 months.

It was interesting to watch Audrey's reaction to the other kids crawling, toddling or running around her. She quickly realised (as did we!!) that there were others there who could scream/cry far louder than her, and kept close to mum as a result. She didn't seem too terrified though and gave a few of the mums a gummy smile. Everyone admired her and said how beautiful she was (would we have gone back if they'd said she was ugly?) and it was also nice to chat to some of the mums, some of whom have been in Warsaw for years and years. It's a real international mix of people.

The meeting only goes from 10am-12pm but poor Audrey was exhausted in the afternoon, due to her excitement at seeing the other kids this morning and a particularly late night last night (I think all 3 of us could do with a long sleep!)

2 comments:

leedsboy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
leedsboy said...

I was the only Dad at Amélie's playgroup in Ghana as well. It was a 'Mum's and Dad's Playgroup' but they hadn't had a Dad there for 2 years.
I found the Mums were great after a couple of weeks of sussing me out to see if I knew what I was doing. Having to change a nappy in front of them impressed plus having the other kids crawling all over me helped :)
I found Amélie took a few weeks to get used to the other kids but she was quite shy then anyway.
Enjoy Trevor.