Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Oysters, Caviar, Champagne...and...Cheese!

Polish cuisine is actually pretty good. I love pierogi and they make lovely bread. We've also written in this blog about the beautiful strawberries, which we are (still) consuming (at an alarming rate) on a daily basis.

One thing the Poles can't do though is cheese. It's not like they don't have cows. Their milk tastes fine and they do pretty decent natural yoghurt. Every piece of cheese you buy though, basically tastes the same - much like the 'plastic' stuff that you find on McDonalds burgers.

It doesn't matter if the label says gouda, edam, cheddar, brie, stilton, mozzarella or monterey jack(!) it basically ALL tastes like plastic. I obviously stand to be corrected should anyone know better, but I've yet to find a single type of Polish cheese that tastes any different to the rest. I must admit (before anyone does try to correct me) - that I'm yet to try Twaróg(Quark) or Oscypek

We have however found a supermarket that sells British cheddar. It comes at a price though - we paid zl 15 for a small lump of the stuff (about 3 GBP or $AUS 6).

It does taste nice, (and has a 'proper' cheese flavour) but is certainly a 'luxury' foodstuff!

So next time you have a cheese toasty - don't take it for granted! Instead, make sure you enjoy every last minute of it - and think of us with our plastic stuff!

1 comment:

Paula said...

Love the links to the cheese info! I'll think of you when I'm eating the French brie I've got at home in the fridge, or when I'm next cheese tasting at the Central markets - mmmmmm.....